Thermometer: how to measure temperature
The epidemic is serious today, and daily measurement of body temperature is extremely important.
What is the normal body temperature?
Normal body temperature is about 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) or 37 degrees Celsius (° C). Normal temperature usually varies from 1 ° to 2 ° F (1/2 ° to 1 ° C). Normal temperatures are usually lower in the morning and higher during the day. It reaches its highest point in the evening or early evening.
What temperature is considered a fever?
In adults, the temperature of fever is considered to be 100.4 ° F (38 ° C) or higher. You can use antipyretics and fluid therapy at home to make yourself more comfortable or to let it go. However, if it reaches 102 ° F (38.8 ° C) or higher and home care cannot lower the temperature, please call your healthcare provider.
Which thermometer should I use for temperature measurement?
Digital thermometer is the most accurate and fastest method of temperature measurement. Most pharmacies and supermarket pharmacies have digital thermometers. Depending on your shopping location, the price of the digital thermometer ranges from $ 6 to $ 20. When using any thermometer, be sure to follow the packaging instructions.
How to use digital thermometer?
There are three different ways to use the digital thermometer. These include:
Oral: For this method, place the thermometer under the tongue. This method is suitable for adults and children 4 years of age and older who can keep the thermometer in their mouths.
Rectum: For this method, gently insert the thermometer into the rectum. This is mainly done in infants, but can be used for children under 3 years of age. You can take a rectal temperature measurement for a child over 3 years old, but it may be difficult to keep it still.
Armpits: For this method, place the thermometer in the armpits of a young child or adult who cannot be safely taken orally. This method is not as accurate as oral or rectal examination, but it can be used as a quick first examination. You can read it verbally or rectally.
How to measure the temperature with a thermometer?
1. Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
2. Use a clean thermometer, first wash with cold water, then rubbing with rubbing alcohol, and then rinse to remove alcohol.
3. Do not eat or drink anything at least five minutes before the temperature measurement, because the temperature of the food or beverage may make the reading inaccurate. You should close your mouth during this period.
4. Place the tip of the thermometer under the tongue.
5. Place the thermometer in the same position for about 40 seconds.
6. During the measurement, the reading will continue to increase and the F (or C) symbol will flash.
7. Normally, after completing the final reading (usually about 30 seconds), the thermometer will beep. If you want to track, please record the temperature and time.
8. Rinse the thermometer with cold water, wash with alcohol and rinse again.
How should I clean and store the thermometer?
It is a good idea to keep the instructions that came with the thermometer so that you can refer to them again for questions like this. Before and after use, please clean the thermometer. You can use soap, water or alcohol to clean the tip of the digital thermometer. After that, you should rinse with warm water.
If you use a thermometer as a rectal thermometer, make sure that it is thoroughly cleaned and labeled. Store in a way that can immediately tell if it's a rectum, not a mouth or armpit thermometer.
Check the direction, but use alcohol to wipe the ears and forehead. The bottom, the handle, can be cleaned with a stronger disinfectant. However, be sure to wipe the disinfectant with water to avoid damaging the handle or hands.
If your thermometer comes with a protective case, store the thermometer in the box. Keep your thermometer (or thermometers) in a dry place, where it is easy to find and not exposed to drastic temperature changes.